qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to mount, install and/or otherwise use an ARM Zer o

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to mount, install and/or otherwise use an ARM Zer o Client image wi th Qemu in Windows
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:30:01 GMT

Hi Peter and thanks for the quick response, it's very much appreciated!

Sorry I forgot to include more details.  To make sure I was giving you the best data possible I just asked our Engineers exactly what they have and are trying to emulate.

A hardware vendor has given us several different variations of their tweaked OS for us to test with.  I have it as a .dd.gz file, a .vhd, a .vhdx, and as a bootable disc.  It is designed to run on an Altas/ARM system, with this particular image being native to the Texas Instruments TMS320DM8148 ARM® Cortex–A8 single core running at 1 GHz with 256 KB L2 cache.  The ARM Cortex-A8 is Binary compatibility with ARM926, ARM1136, and ARM1176 Processors, which I *believe* I read is covered under Qemu.  I read through posts of other users emulating the ARM1176, so I think I have a good chance at being covered on this.

What I have been tasked with is getting the OS running virtually somehow, either as a stand-alone VM or within a host VM (such as within a Windows VM).  That VM will then be hosted on a Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-v Host, which of course is on a normal Dell PowerEdge Server with Xeon CPUs and does not contain/natively support ARM.  Due to licensing, if we require a host VM, (and that seems to be the case as Qemu is probably the only way we could get this to work [thank goodness it exists!]), our primary goal is to use Windows as the host OS VM for this test.

If that becomes a stumbling block though I *may* be able to push back and switch to CentOS as the VMs host OS instead.  One of the hurdles for us on that one would be the dev time, as our CentOS group is smaller and more overworked than our Windows one.  So, the optimal goal is to run a Windows VM, (7, 8, or 8.1, x86 or x64, no one's been picky about that yet), with Qemu running as our ARM emulator to either attach the vendors ready-made hard disc or to image the Qemu *.img file with their bootable .iso.

I think that's everything.  I hope that gives a good sense of where we're at and what we're trying to do.  Any other questions, please feel free to ask.  Any suggestions or solutions, please send them along!  Thanks again to all for your assistance, (and for making Qemu!)!

 - Jarrett