qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] osx bootloader

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] osx bootloader
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 01:15:30 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014, Alexander Graf wrote:
On 01/29/2014 03:53 PM, Gabriel L. Somlo wrote:
I managed to boot OVMF following their wiki; It seems to work with kvm
enabled, but not with -M q35. My current command line is:

Did you use the snapshots on the wiki or compiled the latest version from source? It seems the snapshots are quite old and there have been recent commits since. (I don't know if those fixed or broke things though.)

So I guess I have a bit more RTFM ahead of me. Maybe I can find a way
to copy boot.efi over to the actual EFI partition, which I assume is
the only one I can explore with OVMF from the entire disk image...

Linux can read hfs+ file systems and the EFI partition can also be mounted and written to on OS X from the command line so it's easy to copy boot.efi over to the EFI partition either on Linux or OS X.

You will need an EFI HFS+ driver (look at the refind pointer) because boot.efi will use EFI callbacks to read the kernel and kext cache.

Right. Hopefully it does not rely on Apple's specific HFS+ support in their firmware or that's compatible with what (at least one of) the EFI drivers provide.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan