qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] migration question: disk images on nfs server

From: Orit Wasserman
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] migration question: disk images on nfs server
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 15:57:54 +0200

On 02/07/2014 03:44 PM, Marcin Gibuła wrote:
On 07.02.2014 14:36, Orit Wasserman wrote:
Do you know if is applies to linux O_DIRECT writes as well?

 From the man of open:

        The behaviour of O_DIRECT with NFS will differ from local
        filesystems.  Older kernels, or kernels configured in certain ways,
        may not support this combination.  The NFS protocol does not
support
        passing the flag to the server, so O_DIRECT I/O will bypass the
page
        cache only on the client; the server may still cache the I/O.  The
        client asks the server to make the I/O synchronous to preserve the
        synchronous semantics of O_DIRECT.  Some servers will perform
poorly
        under these circumstances, especially if the I/O size is small.
Some
        servers may also be configured to lie to clients about the I/O
having
        reached stable storage; this will avoid the performance penalty at
        some risk to data integrity in the event of server power failure.
        The Linux NFS client places no alignment restrictions on O_DIRECT
        I/O.

To summaries it depends on your kernel (NFS client).

So, assuming new kernel (where nfs O_DIRECT translates to no cache at client
side) and cache coherent server, is it enough or is 'sync' mount (or O_SYNC
flag) still required for some reason?

I think is should be enough.