qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Call for testing QEMU aarch64-linux-user emulation

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Call for testing QEMU aarch64-linux-user emulation
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:33:54 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014, Andreas Färber wrote:

> >> There are some pretty large differences between these trees with
> >> respect to signal syscalls - is that the likely culprit?
> >
> > Quite likely. We explicitly concentrated on the arch64 specific
> > instruction emulation leaving more generic patches to flow in from
> > SUSE as they matured.
> >
> > I guess it's time to go through the remaining patches and see what's
> > up-streamable.
> >
> > Alex/Michael,
> >
> > Are any of these patches in flight now?
>
> I don't think so, Alex seems to hate cleaning that stuff up... :P
>
> Compare https://github.com/openSUSE/qemu/commits/opensuse-1.7 for our
> general queue. We have patches adding locking to TCG, and there's a hack
> pinning the CPU somewhere.

The locking and pinning is all wrong (resp. overbroad).  The aarch64-1.6
branch contains better implementations for that and some actual fixes for
aarch64' userspace.

Somehow I don't find the time to go through our patches in linux-user and
submit them.  The biggest road-block is that signal vs syscall handling is
fundamentally broken in linux-user and it's unfixable without
assembler implementations of the syscall caller.  That is also still
broken on the suse branch where I tried various ways to fix that until
coming to that conclusion.

Ciao,
Michael.