qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC]VM live snapshot proposal

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC]VM live snapshot proposal
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 14:30:34 +0100

Am 03.03.2014 um 14:19 hat Paolo Bonzini geschrieben:

> >So why don't we simply reuse the existing migration code?
>
> I think this is different in the same way that block-backup and
> block-mirror are different.  Huangpeng's proposal would let you make
> a consistent snapshot of disks and RAM.

Right. Though the point isn't about consistency (doing the disk snapshot
when memory has converged would be consistent as well), but about
having the snapshot semantically right at the time when the monitor
command is issued instead of only starting it then and being consistent
at the point of completion.

This is indeed like pre/post-copy live migration, and probably both
options have their uses. I would suggest starting with the easy one, and
adding the post-copy feature on top.

Kevin