qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Hello from a new comer

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Hello from a new comer
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:51:39 +0100

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:09:38AM +0100, Edgar Simon wrote:
> What I would like to do is to do is to be able to emulate the STM32L platform
> (it's a ARM CortexM3 based micro-controller).
>
> I know it seems ambitious, but I want to try it. I saw that other cortexM3
> platforms were already emulated in qemu. I think I will start from there and
> check for the implementation of the existing peripherals to gain knowledge
> about how to do the same thing for the STM32L specific peripherals.
>
> What do you think? Do you find that it's a right start-point?

Hi Edgar,
I have CCed Peter Maydell (ARM maintainer in QEMU).

I'm not up-to-speed on the ARM side of things but it sounds like you
need to get the details of the STM32L's hardware (datasheets from the
STMicroelectronics) and then see what's missing in QEMU.

You may need to add emulation code for new devices if they aren't
already there for other CortexM3 boards.

Once you've got something basic working, send patches to the qemu-devel
mailing list to get feedback.  Guidelines on submitting patches are
here:
http://qemu-project.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch

You mentioned you are a student.  If you are interested in a 12-week,
paid open source gig working on QEMU this summer, check out our Google
Summer of Code page.  Applications start today and go until March 21st:
http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014

Stefan