qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] migrating instances from qemu-kvm to qemu

From: Cole Robinson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] migrating instances from qemu-kvm to qemu
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 20:18:56 -0400

On 03/19/2014 12:16 PM, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Serge E. Hallyn (address@hidden):
>> Quoting Paolo Bonzini (address@hidden):

>>> This is just a different default.  Make sure you specify the right
>>> model on the command line.

>>> You can patch Ubuntu's QEMU to detect old machine types (pc-1.2 and
>>> earlier) and give cirrus-vga 16MB memory by default.  Migration only
>>> works with versioned machine types (or between same-version QEMU),
>>> so it's okay to only do it there.

>>> It cannot, but the destination can be patched to operate correctly
>>> for the old machine types, on the assumption that migration from the
>>> old machine types is always from Ubuntu's qemu-kvm.
>>>
>>> Paolo
>>
>> Ah, thank you, that assumption should be safe and sounds like a
>> great idea.
>
> Although, some people are using newer qemu with '-M pc-1.0'.  So we'd be
> stopping thing from migrating to support the people coming from qemu-kvm.
> Hmm.

FWIW, we've carried a patch like this in Fedora 18, 19, and 20:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/qemu.git/tree/0001-Fix-migration-from-qemu-kvm.patch?h=f20

As you say, it breaks incoming migration from stock qemu.git. But we never
shipped qemu.git prior to F18 (well, not in any timeframe that matters here),
so back compat wasn't a real concern.

For Fedora 21 we are dropping this patch, since there's been enough releases
for the people to transition:

http://blog.wikichoon.com/2013/12/kvm-migration-from-fedora-17-to-fedora.html

- Cole