qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] hmp interface for kdump compressed format

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] hmp interface for kdump compressed format
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 22:12:38 +0100

Two additional points:

On 03/20/14 21:56, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 03/20/14 21:38, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
>> Qiao Nuohan,
>>
>> is there a reason why you did not implemented the HMP part for that format
>> of kdump compressed format? After all this is a patch mostly for developers,
>> so a HMP interface might come handy. Do you already have some patch in
>> preparation or know somebody doing it?
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/249283/focus=250059

- HMP interface could be implemented as a fully new command of course,

- the feature being targeted at developers strikes me as a completely
unexpected idea. The main goal in my understanding is to allow the
management layer (libvirt) to save a compressed vmcore when the guest
panicks, crashes, or the admin feels like it. For communication with
another program, QMP is actually preferable.

So I'm certainly not against anyone adding a HMP interface too, but it
cannot be an extension to the current HMP command (because it would
break existing HMP command lines unless the HMP parser were reworked
too), plus during review I saw no reason to stall the series even
longer, for a side feature that I perceived to be of low importance (and
I actually thought that Qiao Nuohan shared that notion).

Thanks
Laszlo