qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Missing guest clock-sync on Host clock change

From: Erik Rull
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Missing guest clock-sync on Host clock change
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:41:02 +0100

Hi all,

I would like to have the guest "drifting" to a new set clock on the host.

My problem is the following:

- Host System (Linux) starts up, hwclock and kernel time are synced, guest starts up with -rtc clock=host,driftfix=slew (which I assume should fix any drift issue on ACPI compatible guest OSes) - Host System kernel time drifts against the hwclock (jiffies timer due to no other available useful timer on SMP systems - core2duo has no hpet!) - calling "hwclock -s" on the host resyncs the kernel time with the hwclock, so "date" and "hwclock" show the same again - the guest stays at the "old" kernel time before the sync - also after 1 hour the delta is still the same, so no sync or slew is done :-(

My guest OS is Windows 8, which must have ACPI enabled, otherwise it will not work.

Any ideas how to proceed? Maybe some command line parameters are wrong?

I need this resync for the guest due to external synchronization - it must not be millisecond-precise, but a 9 seconds shift during a run overnight is too much!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Erik