qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to debug qemu-ga.exe (step by step) in windows ?

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to debug qemu-ga.exe (step by step) in windows ?
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 10:06:16 -0500

Quoting Gonglei (Arei) (2014-04-01 07:47:42)
> Hi,
>
>     I'm learning qemu ga from wiki
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/QAPI/GuestAgent
>     qemu-ga.exe is running in my windows VM now, and I want to debug it step
> by step.
>     Could anyone specify how to debug in windows ?  Thanks.

There's WinDbg, which is fairly well documented. I've used it from time to
time, but only for very basic things like getting the stacktrace from a crash.

Beyond that I've gotten by mostly by sticking g_print/g_warning() statements
everywhere until I track down whatever problem I'm looking for.

Theoretically, with the win32 serial port support recently added, you can
rebuild and test using this approach purely in a linux VM (with mingw
cross-build environment) via WINE by handing WINE the qemu-emulated serial
port... was going to suggest this approach but unfortunately, in FC18 at least,
there seems to be some issue with COM ports in WINE where the input to qemu-ga
just gets echoed back to the user/host rather than actually getting passed
through to qemu-ga..., but maybe it'll work for you/others.

That's the only real general advice I can offer, but maybe with more details
of what you're looking into I can be of more assistance.