qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 1/6] hw/arm/virt: add a xgmac device

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 1/6] hw/arm/virt: add a xgmac device
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 11:21:13 +0200

On 11.04.14 07:41, Alistair Francis wrote:
From: Kim Phillips <address@hidden>

This is a hack and only serves as an example of what needs to be
done to make the next RFC - add vfio-platform support - work
for development purposes on a Calxeda Midway system.  We don't want
mach-virt to always create this ethernet device - DO NOT APPLY, etc.

Initial attempts to convince QEMU to create a memory mapped device
on the command line (e.g., -device vfio-platform,name=fff51000.ethernet)
would fail with "Parameter 'driver' expects pluggable device type".
Alistair is working on this. cc.

Alaistair, I've had patches tackle this on the mailing list a few months ago
and received good comments from Anthony on what to change. How far in are
you already? I'd like to make sure we're on the same page here (and don't
duplicate work).

Alex

Hey Alex,

I have a patch I'm about to send to the mailing list. It allows an
entire machine to be added by the -device argument on the command
line. It is a similar implementation to my first version (vl.c: Allow
sysbus devices to be attached via commandline), but much more generic.

Could you point me to your patches so I can compare? At the moment I
don't have much feedback to my implementation

Sure. It's right here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2013-07/msg03614.html

But as you can see there was quite a bit of discussion on that thread on how to do it right.

Alex