qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] [RFC 00/12] target-ppc: Decimal Floating Poi

From: Tom Musta
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] [RFC 00/12] target-ppc: Decimal Floating Point
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 10:18:05 -0500

On 4/11/2014 11:16 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 11.04.14 18:12, Tom Musta wrote:
>> On 4/11/2014 10:31 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:
>>> I don't think this is possible. Libdecnumber is GPLv3+ code while QEMU
>>> overall is licensed at GPLv2 only. Gotta love licenses...
>>>
>>> Is there an older, GPLv2 licensed version available?
>> Interesting timing .... I was just about to put out a complete patch set for
>> all of DFP.
>>
>> In earlier feedback, Richard had suggested that I go further upstream inside
>> of IBM ... which I did.
>> But of course, that is also GPLv3.
>>
>> The original copy comes from here : http://spelotrove.com/decimal/#decNumber
>> which was published with
>> something called the ICU 1.8.1 license.  I am not at all familiar with that
>> license.
>>
>> Looks like I'm going to have to "lawyer up" :)
>
> Yes, please do. I'm sure IBM has plenty lawyers who are happy to help out
> here :).
>

> Alex

I am trying to make sense of the contents of the QEMU LICENSE file which states
this:

    "1) QEMU as a whole is released under the GNU General Public License,
    version 2."

but then later states this:

    "As of July 2013, contributions under version 2 of the GNU General Public
    License (and no later version) are only accepted for the following files
    or directories: bsd-user/, linux-user/, hw/misc/vfio.c, hw/xen/xen_pt*."

I am working on getting libdecnumber source with GPLv2 licensing, but the
previous
paragraph suggests that it will not be accepted either.