qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] vhost: Can we change synchronize_rcu to call_rcu

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] vhost: Can we change synchronize_rcu to call_rcu in vhost_set_memory() in vhost kernel module?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 15:12:52 +0300

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 01:46:19PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Il 12/05/2014 13:07, Michael S. Tsirkin ha scritto:

> >>That shouldn't happen on any cache-coherent system, no?
> >>
> >>Or at least, it shouldn't become any worse than what can already
> >>happen with RCU.
> >
> >Meaning guest must do some synchronization anyway?
>
> Yes, I think so.  The simplest would be to mask the interrupt around
> MSI configuration changes.  Radim was looking at a similar bug.

Was this with classic assignment or with vfio?

> He
> couldn't replicate on bare metal, but I don't see why it shouldn't
> be possible there too.

I doubt linux does something tricky here, so
I'm not talking about something linux guest does,
I'm talking about an abstract guarantee of the
APIC. If baremetal causes a synchronisation point
and we don't, at some point linux will use it and
this will bite us.

> >But I am not sure this works correctly in all cases,
> >synchronization with guest VCPU does not have to be
> >the same thing as synchronization with host CPU.
> >For example, can not guest VCPU1 detect that
> >VCPU2 is idle and avoid any synchronization?
>
> So guest VCPU1 would be the one that sets the MSI word, and VCPU2
> would be the old destination?  That would also be racy, the moment
> after you "check that VCPU2 is idle" an interrupt could come in and
> the VCPU wouldn't be idle anymore.

True but I was talking about something like RCU in guest so
that's not a problem: you check after update.
If it's idle you know next interrupt will be the new one.