qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] USB passthrough in qemu

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] USB passthrough in qemu
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 10:12:46 +0200

On Fr, 2014-06-13 at 09:46 +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> On 13 June 2014 09:33, Gerd Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> >   Hi,
> >
> >> However,
> >> -device nec-usb-xhci -usbdevice host:0b95:772b -usbdevice tablet
> >> gives empy xhci bus and both devices attached to uhci bus which does not
> >> work.
> >
> > Either drop '-usb' so xhci is the only usb controller, or use -device
> > usb-$device,bus=$name to explicitly say which controller you want your
> > device attach to.
> >

> I did drop -usb
>
> I am using qemu 2.0
>
> Do I need newer version for this to work?

Oops.  No.  Use -device instead of -usbdevice.

-usbdevice tried to be clever and automatically turns on usb for you, so
you get uhci too.

This kind problems showing up when qemu tries to do TheRightThing[tm]
automatically is exactly the reason why we don't like adding such things
any more.  What people consider useful simply changes over time and with
qemu improving.  The behavior made sense back the day where we didn't
have ehci+xhci emulation.  Now days not so much ...

cheers,
  Gerd