qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu VGA endian swap low level drawing changes

From: Greg Kurz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu VGA endian swap low level drawing changes
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 13:40:57 +0200

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 20:09:18 +1000
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-06-17 at 12:00 +0200, Greg Kurz wrote:
> > There has been a discussion already about virtio endianness: relying on
> > a guest system wide setting such as LPCR_ILE has been strongly rejected
> > at the time... The consensus for virtio is "device endianness is the
> > endianness of the CPU that does the reset" (hence MSR_LE for PPC).
>
> How on earth did anybody reach such a conclusion ? Of all the possible
> options I can think of this is the one that makes the *less* sense !

This conclusion was reached while discussing dump support where we
use LPCR_ILE, and I wanted to add a common helper to be used by
virtio. Please find the thread in the link below:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-05/msg00415.html

Can you elaborate on the "less sense" opinion please ?

> Cheers,
> Ben.

Thanks.
--
Gregory Kurz                                     address@hidden
                                                 address@hidden

"Anarchy is about taking complete responsibility for yourself."
        Alan Moore.