qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v3 06/10] virt: Assign a VFIO platform device with

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v3 06/10] virt: Assign a VFIO platform device with -device option
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 23:30:24 +0200

On 02.06.14 09:49, Eric Auger wrote:
This patch aims at allowing the end-user to specify the device he
wants to directly assign to his mach-virt guest in the QEMU command
line.

The QEMU platform device becomes generic.

Current choice is to reuse the "-device" option.

For example when assigning Calxeda Midway xgmac device this option
is used:
-device vfio-platform,vfio_device="fff51000.ethernet",\
compat="calxeda/hb-xgmac",mmap-timeout-ms=1000

I think we're walking into the right direction, but there is one major nit I have. I don't think we should have a -device vfio-platform. I think we should have a -device vfio-xgmac that maybe inherits from an abstrace vfio-platform class.

That way machine code can assemble the device tree according to the device and you can also implement hardware specific hacks or dependencies if you need them - for example the MMIO masking to find an EOI you did earlier.

Alex