qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] HQEMU :Violations of the GPLLicenses?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] HQEMU :Violations of the GPLLicenses?
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 13:09:01 +0200

Hi,

Am 25.06.2014 16:05, schrieb Lb peace:
> Efficient and retargetable dynamic binary translation on multicores
> Author:Ding-Yong Hong; Jan-Jan Wu; Pen-Chung Yew; Wei-Chung Hsu;
> Chun-Chen Hsu; Pangfeng Liu; Chien-Min Wang; Yeh-Ching Chung
> IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
> DOI: 10.1109/TPDS.2013.56
> Year: March 2014
>
> --------
> As mentioned in this article,HQEMU is based on QEMU,which is realesd
> under the GPL license.But you cannot find any line of its source codes.
> Is this group‘s behavior  a violation of the GPL Licenses?

In general, if you want legal advice, talk to lawyers. :)
You're unlikely to find any on a development mailing list.

But you can read through the GPL version 2.0 yourself, in particular
section 3:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.en.html

So, before you ask about GPL "violations", have you simply contacted
them by email and asked nicely whether they will provide you with the
sources matching that paper? As Peter says, if you don't have the
binaries, you have no legal right under the GPL to obtain the sources of
random software, but they might still do so. At least my former
university used to share its GPL sources for the benefit of paper
verification and (getting referenced by) follow-up projects, be it on
proceedings CDs or via download.

Regards,
Andreas