qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why I advise against using ivshmem

From: Cam Macdonell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why I advise against using ivshmem
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:02:00 -0600

Hello,

Just to add my two bits.

I will fully support getting all the necessary parts of ivshmem into tree where appropriate, both qemu and a driver in Linux.  I understand those concerns.

I do not have the time to fully maintain ivshmem at the level needed, but I will help as much as I can.

Sorry for the delay in contributing to this conversation.

Cheers,
Cam

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 3:34 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:57 PM, David Marchand
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 06/18/2014 12:48 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>>
>> One more thing to add to the list:
>>
>> static void ivshmem_read(void *opaque, const uint8_t * buf, int flags)
>>
>> The "flags" argument should be "size".  Size should be checked before
>> accessing buf.
>

> You are welcome to send a fix and I will review it.

I don't plan to send ivshmem patches in the near future because I
don't use or support it.

I thought you were interested in bringing ivshmem up to a level where
distros feel comfortable enabling and supporting it.  Getting there
will require effort from you to audit, clean up, and achieve test
coverage.  That's what a maintainer needs to do in a case like this.

Stefan