qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu only uses a Qemu File to communicate in two hosts?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu only uses a Qemu File to communicate in two hosts?
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:30:57 -0600

On 06/30/2014 03:58 PM, Gary Jordan wrote:
> Hi Eric,

[please don't top-post in technical lists]

> Could I find a way for two guests in two hosts to communicate?   Like qemu
> starts one vm in Host 1 and qemu also starts a vm in Host 2, the vm can
> share their memory.  Is there some existed way to do that, like remote IPC
> in qemu?

How would you communicate between two bare-metal hosts?  Emulate that
same setup in your two guests.

You appear to be intent on setting up shared memory solutions, when I
think the better thing is to focus on setting up efficient emulated
network device solutions.  Then your code will be portable no matter how
the network device frontend is hooked up to the host backend (and it may
be possible to have a host backend that uses shared memory for a very
efficient network device emulation when two VMs are on the same host,
but which can also be ported to work between VMs on different hosts by
using regular networking - and that's what virtio-net is focusing on
defining).