qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu VGA endian swap low level drawing changes

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu VGA endian swap low level drawing changes
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 11:07:19 +0200

On Di, 2014-07-01 at 10:31 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> >> I suspect we can rip out hw cursor emulation and nobody will notice the
> >> difference either ...
> >
> > Very likely ;). Though I think we're better off keeping it around to
> > make sure we're still compatible with ancient guests (Windows 3.1 might
> > use it too). Making it slow however shouldn't make any difference at all.
>
> If you tell me what to look at, I legally own a Windows 98 CD (also NT4
> but I have to dig it out) and can test it later this week.

/me has win98 too, that doesn't boot after install though.

So if you can try nt4 that would be great.  Test is simple: switch into
16bpp mode (that one uses shared surface in git master), check whenever
the mouse pointer is present.

Bonus points for compiling with DEBUG_CIRRUS and checking the logs to
see whenever nt4 actually enables the hw cursor (sr registers, index
0x12, bit 0).

cheers,
  Gerd