qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/arm: add Lego NXT board

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/arm: add Lego NXT board
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 23:10:26 +0200

On 07/14/2014 10:37 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:> The obvious thing to consider is whether this could be used to
> circumvent the GPL.
>
> I think a generic memory-mapped I/O device interface is not a good idea
> in this respect, also because it's hard to get it right.
Okay, if this is a concern I will have to keep my changes off the mainline as it is a required feature.

> But i2c is
> simple enough, and there are so many devices with a 4-page datasheet,
> that I think it would be acceptable.  You could also write an i2c
> passthrough chardev backend that connects to /dev/i2c* and lets the
> guest access slaves in the host.

My interest is to fake sensor values for the guest and not to connect anything to real hardware. I think I misinterpreted your "chardev". To clarify: My guest is a bare metal ARM image, no linux and I don't want to interact with the host's hardware. So no chardev in the linux sense is involved.

Anyway thank you for your feedback.

Regards
Alexander