qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] boot arm fedora via u-boot in qemu

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] boot arm fedora via u-boot in qemu
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:59:06 +0200

  Hi,

> "if (base < phys_offset)" in early_init_dt_add_memory_arch triggers.
> Seems __pa() isn't working correctly.
>
> Any chance this can be caused by setting some uboot env var incorrectly?
> There is a confusing high number of *_addr_* variables ...

Yep, that was it.  Linux kernel wants be loaded at the start of memory,
kernel_addr_r in upstream u-boot repo is correct.  Or maybe it works
when booting the kernel from flash or building it with different config
options.

Next problem:

When booting f20 image (no extlinux yet) uboot tries the boot script
instead, then fails this way:

[ ... ]
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
Scanning mmc 0:1...
Found U-Boot script /boot.scr
18481 bytes read in 79 ms (227.5 KiB/s)
## Executing script at 67d00000
Welcome to a-b-c 0.59.

Found kernel_addr_r (0x60008000), using for u_k_addr.
Found ramdisk_addr_r (0x68000000), using for u_ramfs_addr.
Found fdt_addr_r (0x67f00000), using for u_dtb_addr.
Using defaults for vexpress-v2p-ca9.dtb, and will load dtb during
startup.
Will scan for kernels on mmc usb scsi sata ide, using ext2 fat
filesystems with bootm

Starting menu init....

syntax error
## Error: "catX" not defined
syntax error
## Error: "catX" not defined
No kernel provides dtb named vexpress-v2p-ca9.dtb
No value for u_kernel.  Getting help.
[ ... ]

Google finds me this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/F20/Installation#For_the_BeagleBone_Black

Suggested fix is to replace uboot.  Heh.

Anyone has clue what is going on and how to fix it?  I suspect it is
simply one of the many CONFIG_* switches in u-boot which must be
flipped?

cheers,
  Gerd

PS: https://www.kraxel.org/repos/ has builds

    yum install -y u-boot.git
    qemu-arm -M vexpress-a9 -m 512M -sd $image \
        -kernel /usr/share/u-boot.git/arm/vexpress-a9/u-boot