qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Better Cortex-M support?

From: Christopher Covington
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Better Cortex-M support?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:28:34 -0400

On 10/28/2014 01:08 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 28 October 2014 16:38, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm not sure what the QEMU definition of '-machine' stands for, a device
>> or a board, but I think that the ARM definitions are good candidates for
>> QEMU emulation names.
>
> -machine specifies a board name. We don't care how you build the binary
> for the board or what library you choose to use for hardware abstraction.
>
>> once the core Cortex-M emulation is fully functional, it should be
>> easier to add support for specific devices, by configuring some of
>> the parameters (flash/ram, add some peripherals, etc).
>
> QEMU doesn't conveniently support runtime flexible specification
> of what is present in an emulated board (beyond very basic things
> like "how much RAM"). What the .c file in the QEMU sources defines
> is what you get.

I've sometimes thought it might be cool if QEMU could consume a DTB and
emulate whatever is described, assuming the devices and configurations are
supported. I've yet to come up with a real problem to motivate this
"solution", though.

Chris

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,