qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding SMP support for Sparc Target

From: Damien Hilloulin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding SMP support for Sparc Target
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 23:05:08 +0100

Le 06/11/2014 19:23, Artyom Tarasenko a écrit :
On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Damien Hilloulin
<address@hidden> wrote:
Le 06/11/2014 16:27, Artyom Tarasenko a écrit :
Hello Damien,

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Damien Hilloulin
<address@hidden> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm a newcomer in QEMU and my goal would be to port an existing system
simulator using another emulator to QEMU.
Some work has already been done, and Sparc has been the main target so
far
because of its simplicity (and because we have a very good support for
Sparc
with the other emulator).
QEMU is great, open-source (contrary to the other emulator we have been
using in the past), and that's why we are aiming at using it.

However, it seems that the Sparc targets doesn't really support SMP/CMT
as
of now. So I am considering two possibilities:
- adding SMP support in QEMU for the Sparc targets (and contribute it to
QEMU :) )
Do you mean a) emulating multiple guest cores on in a single host
thread, or b) emulating multiple guest cores in multiple host threads?
a) Would be enough for us (but b) would be amazing) !
The former (a) should be relative easy for a sun4m platform: just have
to put the CPUs at the proper place in the system bus and fill the CPU
Module Ids (MIDs) with the proper data.
Could you please explain it with some more details? I don't really know how
to do that (yet)...
We are really interested in such a support for Sparc64, so I think that it
would be for sun4u machines only.
Would the changes would be the same or would there be more work?
Taking into account the overall status of sun4u emulation, it is a bit
more work.
AFAIR the SMP-related registers of Ultrasparc CPUs/chipsets are not implemented.
Additionally there are currently no sun4u SMP boards emulated in QEMU,
but I think this is a smaller issue.

Also some support in OpenBIOS might be necessary. Mark can surely tell more.

Artyom

Ok... Quite bad that's not as easy than for Sparc32, but I think that's still better for us than focusing on ARM direclty. Would someone have a little bit of documentation about those topics (specific registers/interrupts/bios)?
Any help is welcome!

Damien.