qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC V2 10/10] cpus: reclaim allocated vCPU objects

From: Bharata B Rao
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC V2 10/10] cpus: reclaim allocated vCPU objects
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 14:46:49 +0530

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Gu Zheng <address@hidden> wrote:
> After ACPI get a signal to eject a vCPU, the vCPU must be
> removed from CPU list,before the vCPU really removed,  then
> release the all related vCPU objects.
> But we do not close KVM vcpu fd, just record it into a list, in
> order to reuse it.

Hi Gu Zheng,

So this approach of parking the vcpu fd in QEMU and reusing it next
time during CPU hotplug will only work if all architectures supported
by KVM driver are ok with reuse of vcpu object in the kernel. I am
using relevant bits of this patch of yours with PowerPC architecture
to support cpu unplug and I realize that there is at least one case
where reuse of vcpu object in the kernel causes problems. Before I
attempt to fix that in ppc KVM, I wanted to check if there is
consensus on this approach (parking and reusing kvm vcpu fd) in QEMU.

Also is there a latest version of this patchset that I can try ?

Regards,
Bharata.