qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MIPS/Malta: pci_add_option_rom: failed to find romfile

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MIPS/Malta: pci_add_option_rom: failed to find romfile "efi-pcnet.rom"
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 20:41:17 +0000

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014, Leon Alrae wrote:

> >  The current trunk QEMU fails to run in the system emulation mode for
> > the MIPS/Malta (mips64-softmmu) target.  It fails right away:
> >
> > $ qemu-system -M malta -m 256 -k /dev/null -kernel
> > vmlinux-3.2.0-4-4kc-malta -nographic -monitor null
> > qemu-system: pci_add_option_rom: failed to find romfile "efi-pcnet.rom"
> > qemu-system: Device initialization failed.
> > $
>
> I'm not able to reproduce your problem. Could you please double check
> your QEMU installation? (looks like efi-pcnet.rom is missing for some
> reason)

 I see the file in the source tree, but that does not address my concern.
The Malta board does not include any x86 firmware and so requiring one is
IMHO the wrong way to go.  The setup should specify the onboard NIC has no
ROM and should not require an image for it.  Having to distribute x86
firmware with a MIPS simulator and toolchain makes no sense to me (OK, we
could probably `dd' /dev/zero to substitute a dummy image, but that is
more like a hack to me than a proper solution).

  Maciej