qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/1] Execute arbitrary QMP commands from command l

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/1] Execute arbitrary QMP commands from command line
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:46:35 +0000

* Daniel P. Berrange (address@hidden) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 03:22:55PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Daniel P. Berrange (address@hidden) wrote:

> > > I'm unclear how we'd easily deal with the response from commands
> > > invoked this way, to get replies and/or errors. Also, it might
> > > be the case that we need to conditionally run certain commands
> > > depending on the result of earlier commands.
> > >
> > > Wouldn't it make more sense to simply add a 'migrate_incoming' QMP
> > > command, and stop using -incoming altogether, so we just have normal
> > > QMP access ?
> > >
> > > eg,
> > >
> > >     #  qemu-system-x86_64 ....device args...  -S
> > >     (qmp) ....arbitrary QMP commands ..
> > >     (qmp) {"execute":"migrate-incoming", "arguments": { "uri": "tcp::44"
> > > }}
> >
> > I'm a bit worried about whether starting an incoming migrate afterwards is
> > different in any subtle way.  I can see there are a handful of devices that
> > have 'runstate_check(RUN_STATE_INMIGRATE)' calls in, and thus I'm not sure
> > that starting a paused VM and then flipping to RUN_STATE_INMIGRATE would
> > be quite the same.
> >
> > Having said that, we do have 'loadvm' that's similar to an incoming
> > migration.
>
> Yep, existance of 'loadvm' does give confidence that this should work with
> migration, hopefully only needing a few cleanups for the state check you
> mention above.

Hmm I'm not sure; I've had a dig and the tests for INMIGRATE do a lot of random
things; qxl, usb, and blockdev for starters, and the block stuff sets a flag
that is then passed to qcow and other backends that do stuff all over with it.

Howver, something like:

   -incoming pause

followed by the monitor command later should work - how do you feel
about that?

Dave