qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Network Migration in QEMU during Live Migration

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Network Migration in QEMU during Live Migration
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 13:02:57 -0700

On 02/04/2015 12:01 PM, Azizul Hakim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does QEMU support network migration so that the migration process is
> transparent to users? For example if my VM has a web server, I would like
> my user still be able to send request to the server after the migration
> process is completed. But since migration causes a change of the physical
> machine, the IP address is different. So how do I achieve this? I
> understand that I've to create bridge network. What other things do I've to
> take care off? Is it possible at all?

The IP address of the host is different, but the IP address seen by the
guest is the same.  Live migration has been possible for several years
with qemu, and people do it all the time.  The guest sees very minimal
downtime (a few milliseconds).  If you use a higher-layer software, like
libvirt, then triggering a live migration of a guest is quite easy.