qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/10] MultiThread TCG.

From: Frederic Konrad
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/10] MultiThread TCG.
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 11:37:03 +0100

Hi,

Yes a v2 will come soon.
Actually I'm trying to unbreak GDB stub and a strange segfault with smp > 2.

Fred

From: KONRAD Frederic <address@hidden>

Hi everybody,

This is the start of our work on TCG multithread.
It's been a while since the first RFC are we likely to see a v2 of the
patch series any time soon?

We send it for comment to be sure we are taking the right direction.
We already discussed the first patch but we keep it for simplicity.

We choice to keep a common tbs array for all VCPU but protect it with the
tb_lock from TBContext. Then for each PageDesc we have a tb list per VCPU.

Known issues:
   * Some random deadlock.
   * qemu_pause_cond is broken we can't quit QEMU.
   * tb_flush is broken we must make sure no VCPU are executing code.

Jan Kiszka (1):
   Drop global lock during TCG code execution

KONRAD Frederic (9):
   target-arm: protect cpu_exclusive_*.
   use a different translation block list for each cpu.
   replace spinlock by QemuMutex.
   remove unused spinlock.
   extract TBContext from TCGContext.
   protect TBContext with tb_lock.
   tcg: remove tcg_halt_cond global variable.
   cpu: remove exit_request global.
   tcg: switch on multithread.

  cpu-exec.c                |  47 +++++++----
  cpus.c                    | 122 +++++++++++----------------
  cputlb.c                  |   5 ++
  exec.c                    |  25 ++++++
  include/exec/exec-all.h   |   4 +-
  include/exec/spinlock.h   |  49 -----------
  include/qom/cpu.h         |   1 +
  linux-user/main.c         |   6 +-
  scripts/checkpatch.pl     |   9 +-
  softmmu_template.h        |   6 ++
  target-arm/cpu.c          |  14 ++++
  target-arm/cpu.h          |   3 +
  target-arm/helper.h       |   3 +
  target-arm/op_helper.c    |  10 +++
  target-arm/translate.c    |   6 ++
  target-i386/mem_helper.c  |  16 +++-
  target-i386/misc_helper.c |  27 +++++-
  tcg/i386/tcg-target.c     |   8 ++
  tcg/tcg.h                 |   3 +-
  vl.c                      |   6 ++
  delete mode 100644 include/exec/spinlock.h