qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 64-bit build of qemu-system-arm with mingw-w64 not func

From: Liviu Ionescu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 64-bit build of qemu-system-arm with mingw-w64 not functional
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 22:31:50 +0300

first of all, for those interested in a reproducible build procedure for
Windows, I have a single and complete script, building the 32/64-bit versions
from the original repository or from Stefan's repository.

the short story is:

- install Docker from Docker.com
- download the build script from
https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuarmeclipse/qemu/ci/gnuarmeclipse-dev/tree/gnuarmeclipse/scripts/build-orig-qemu.sh
 (use the Download this file link)
- run the script with

        $ bash build-orig-qemu.sh --orig --win64
        $ bash build-orig-qemu.sh --orig --win32
        $ bash build-orig-qemu.sh --stefan --win64

the script will leave the build results in ${HOME}/Work/orig-qemu or
${HOME}/Work/stefan-qemu.

(the 32-bit build with Stefan's repository failed).

at first run, the script will download the custom Debian 8 image from

        https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/ilegeul/qemu-builds/

the image was prepared using the Dokerfile published on GitHub

https://github.com/ilg-ul/docker/blob/master/builds/d8_x64_mingw/Dockerfile

the long story is documented in a wiki page

http://gnuarmeclipse.livius.net/wiki/How_to_build_the_original_QEMU_binaries

-------------

after fixing the build details, I was able to further investigate the windows
64-bit failures, which are present on all builds (the original version and
Stefan's fork and my fork).

the problem seems to be triggered by the use of SysTick.

I reached this conclusion after spliting my test in several simpler tests;
after enabling the timer, the emulator crashes if built for 64-bit.

the public QEMU also crashes when semihosting is used, I guess semihosting
support is incomplete because we no longer applied the patches related to the
command line. in my fork, semihosting is fully functional, and uses
-semihosting-cmdline.

I'll try to check the SysTick code, but I'm not sure when this will happen,
since I lost quite a lot of time with these Windows builds.

if someone is interested in the the test images, I can make them public.

regards,

Liviu