qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] feature proposal: checkpoint-assisted migration

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] feature proposal: checkpoint-assisted migration
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 10:54:05 +0100

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 01:20:33PM +0200, Thomas Knauth wrote:
> In the course of our research we implemented a prototype of this
> feature within kvm/qemu. We would like to contribute it to mainline,
> but it needs cleanup and proper testing. As is the nature with
> research prototypes, the code is ugly and not well integrated with the
> existing kvm/qemu codebase. To avoid confusion and irritation, I want
> to mention that I have little experience in contributing to large
> open-source projects. So if I violate some unwritten protocol or best
> practises, please be patient.

Guidelines for contributing patches are here:
http://qemu-project.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch

Regarding the idea, it sounds like it could be beneficial for some
migration use cases.  I've thought about an rsync approach for disk
images, and that is similar to your idea for RAM.  There are image file
formats that keep generation counts for regions of the disk image,
making it quick to find out which regions have changed between two
images.

Stefan