qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vhost/virtio migration planning

From: Catalin Vasile
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vhost/virtio migration planning
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:42:56 +0300

Sorry for not respoding there.
When I started researching and working on this qemu-devel was the only mailing list where I actually got support (answers)
for my questions.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 02:03:59PM +0300, Catalin Vasile wrote:
> I am working on a virtio-crypto with vhost backend.

You didn't respond in the "[GSoC] project proposal" thread where I
explained why vhost isn't appropriate for this device:

  My suggestion is to work on the gnutls driver.  Then, if you have time
  left, get cryptodev upstream (it can be part of your GSoC project
  plan).

  That approach is more beneficial in the long run.  It will allow other
  applications to use the Crypto API too.

  vhost is good for exploiting kernel-only functionality (usually due to
  security/reliability boundaries).  In this case the only reason for
  vhost is that the userspace API isn't ready yet.  Use the opportunity
  to contribute to that effort instead of working around it.

Stefan