qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] libcacard: use the library?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] libcacard: use the library?
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 12:37:15 +0200

On 27/04/2015 11:44, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Currently we link individual object files from libcacard
> to qemu-system binaries, this way (from Makefile.objs):
>
> libcacard-y += libcacard/cac.o libcacard/event.o
> libcacard-y += libcacard/vcard.o libcacard/vreader.o
> common-obj-$(CONFIG_SMARTCARD_NSS) += $(libcacard-y)
>
> Why can't we use the actual library, and just add the
> linker flag, -Ilibcacard -lcacard?

Because that would require people to use "libtool --mode=execute gdb" to
debug qemu.  This is not a problem for me, but I know that some people
on the list are allergic to the GNU build tools.

I would be okay for this, and I would also be okay with making libcacard
standalone.  Making it standalone would also bypass the problem of
verbose debugging command lines.  You've already done most of the work
with your patches to stop using libqemuutil.a.  As a small step in that
direction, I've sent a patch to remove use of qemu-common.h.

Somebody has to write some Autoconf/Automake and package it up, I guess.

Paolo