[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 0/4] Add section footers to detect corrupted mig
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 0/4] Add section footers to detect corrupted migration streams
Tue, 19 May 2015 08:13:52 -0600
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.7.0
On 05/19/2015 08:06 AM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
>> Does it let us detect a corrupted
>> stream earlier in the process? Or is the main benefit that it gives
>> better error messages at the point corruption is first detected?
> Both; there are two cases that often happen; both triggered by a section
> reading too little or too much, and it gets back to the main loop and
> we read the next byte:
> 1) the next byte on the stream is a 0x00 - that's read as an
> marker, we start the VM and you get a hung VM with no errors.
> 2) the next byte is between 0x01..0x04 - and it looks like a section
> then we try and read the next few bytes to figure out which section;
> this could a) result in an error saying it's an unknown section or
> b) Happen to match a section ID and then get an error about a problem
> in that section. In either case you don't get an error pointing to
> the previous section which was the actual problem.
Probably worth incorporating into the commit body then :)
>>> The footers are tied to new machine types (on both pc types).
>> Good that you tied it to machine type, but is it enough? When we added
>> the optional section for giving the json representation of the stream,
>> we ended up having to add a knob to turn off that section, so that
>> backwards migration from a new qemu to an older one did not send it.
>> I'm wondering if we'll need to expose a knob to turn off footers, again
>> for the sake of backwards migration in downstream distros.
> That knob is already the knob that I've created and tied to the machine
> type; the downstream distros will just turn the same knob in their old
> machine types.
I'm not asking about the machine type defaults, but a command line
override: -machine suppress-vmdesc=on, commit 9850c604
[uggh - why'd we give that option an inverted name? Just so we could
have a default of off? It might have been nicer as -machine
send-vmdesc=off with a default of on for new machine types]
Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org
Description: OpenPGP digital signature
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 0/4] Add section footers to detect corrupted migration streams, Amit Shah, 2015/05/20
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 0/4] Add section footers to detect corrupted migration streams, Dr. David Alan Gilbert (git), 2015/05/19
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 2/4] Disable section footers on older machine types, Dr. David Alan Gilbert (git), 2015/05/19
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 4/4] Teach analyze-migration.py about section footers, Dr. David Alan Gilbert (git), 2015/05/19
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 1/4] Merge section header writing, Dr. David Alan Gilbert (git), 2015/05/19
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 3/4] Add a protective section footer, Dr. David Alan Gilbert (git), 2015/05/19
- Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 0/4] Add section footers to detect corrupted migration streams, Eric Blake, 2015/05/19