qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 00/12] QOM devices patch queue 2015-05-27

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 00/12] QOM devices patch queue 2015-05-27
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 09:56:50 +0100

On 19 June 2015 at 09:45, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 28.05.2015 um 13:46 schrieb Peter Maydell:
>> On 27 May 2015 at 19:20, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hello Peter,
>>>
>>> This is my QOM (devices) patch queue. Please pull.
>>>
>>> v2 contains changes that hopefully fix warnings on gcc 4.7.
>>
>> Hi. I'm afraid this doesn't build on our minimum glib version (2.22):
>>
>> /Users/pm215/src/qemu/tests/check-qom-proplist.c:235:5: warning: implicit
>>       declaration of function 'g_assert_null' is invalid in C99
>>       [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>>     g_assert_null(dobj);
>>     ^
>> /Users/pm215/src/qemu/tests/check-qom-proplist.c:236:5: warning: implicit
>>       declaration of function 'g_assert_nonnull' is invalid in C99
>>       [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>>     g_assert_nonnull(err);
>>     ^
>>
>> g_assert_nonnull() first appears in glib 2.38.
>
> Holy crap... :/
>
> I could've sworn that Anthony did not apply the same minimum-glib
> version for make check as for the actual code

Historically we didn't, because the whole gtester infrastructure
we use wasn't in the ancient glib requirement we had for RHEL5;
so it wasn't practical to insist that test code run on that.
One of the advantages of now using 2.22 as our minimum is that
you can actually run 'make check' on every version of glib we
support (though 2.22 has a signal race in gtester which means you
need to have a little helper script that does a 'killall -CHLD
gtester' every so often to unwedge it...)

Even before we moved to 2.22, I would have spotted and asked
for fixes for failure of "make check" on a 2.22 glib, because
one of my main build-for-pullreqs systems is a 2.22 one.

thanks
-- PMM