qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Creating a VM from an E01 file

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Creating a VM from an E01 file
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 14:20:54 +0100

On 20 July 2015 at 14:03, Cervellone, Adam <address@hidden> wrote:
> My name is Adam Cervellone. I am a digital evidence intern at the North
> Carolina State Crime Laboratory.  As part of my time here, I am conducting a
> research project using the SIFT workstation to make a virtual machine of an
> E01 file.  I’ve previously used this series of commands to attempt to create
> a VM
>
> 1.            Sudo su
>
> o             SIFT password entered
>
> 2.            Mkdir /mnt/ewf1
>
> 3.            Mount_ewf.py <E01 image file path> /mnt/ewf1
>
> 4.            qemu-img convert /mnt/ewf1/<E01 image file name> -O vmdk
> <give_a_name>.vmdk
>
> I found these steps on Forensics wiki, however they have not worked.  I may
> have misinterpreted a section of the command and entered it incorrectly.  Do
> you know of the correct way to do this or of someone who may be able to help
> me?

You've said what you were trying to do, but not what actually happened.
"It didn't work" provides no information at all. Did it give an
error message (if so, what?), did it do nothing, did it just hang?
Giving an exact transcript of the commands you typed and the output
might be useful.

Identifying problems with computing has some similarities with
detecting crime -- we need evidence to be able to draw good
conclusions :-)

thanks
-- PMM