qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] Dynamic reconfiguration (was: qmp: add mon

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] Dynamic reconfiguration (was: qmp: add monitor command to add/remove a child)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 13:10:09 +0200

Am 08.10.2015 um 13:02 hat Kevin Wolf geschrieben:
> [...]
>
> So far we haven't thought about dynamic reconfiguation enough that we
> would know the right solution, but enough that we know it's hard. That
> would be an argument for me that makes adding an x-* command now
> acceptable. On the other hand, the fact that we want a single command in
> the end makes me want to keep it experimental.
>

> What types of dynamic reconfiguration do we need to support? I'll start
> with a small list, feel free to extend it:
>
> * Replace a child node with another node. This works pretty much
>   everywhere in the tree - including the root, i.e. BlockBackend!
>   Working just on BDSes doesn't seem to be enough.
>
> * Adding a child to a node that can take additional children (e.g.
>   quorum can take an arbitrary number; but also COW image formats have
>   an option child, so you could add a backing file to a node originally
>   opened with BDRV_O_NO_BACKING)
>
>   Same as atomically replacing nothing by a node.
>
> * Removing an optional child from a node that remains valid with that
>   child removed. The same examples apply.
>
>   Same as atomically replacing a child by nothing.
>
> * Add a new node between two existing nodes. An example is taking a live
>   snapshot, which inserts a new node between the BlockBackend and the
>   first BDS. Or it could be used to insert a filter somewhere in the
>   graph.
>
>   Same as creating the new node pointing to node B (or dynamically
>   adding it) and then atomically replacing the reference of node A that
>   pointed to B with a reference to the new node.
>
> * Add a new node between multiple existing nodes. This is one of the
>   examples we always used to discuss with dynamic reconfiguration:
>
>       base <- sn1 <- sn2 <--+-- virtio-blk
>                             +-- NBD server
>
>   Adding a filter could result in this:
>
>         base <- sn1 <- sn2 <- throttling <--+-- virtio-blk
>                                           +-- NBD server
>
>   Or this:
>
>         base <- sn1 <- sn2 <--+-- throttling <- virtio-blk
>                               +-- NBD server
>
>   Or this:
>
>         base <- sn1 <- sn2 <--+-- virtio-blk
>                               +-- throttling <- NBD server
>
>   All of these are different kinds of "adding a filter", and all of
>   them are valid operations that a user could want to perform.
>
>   Case 2 and 3 are really just "add a new node between two existing
>   nodes", as explained above.
>
>   Case 1 is new: We still create the throttling node so that it already
>   points to sn2, but now we have to atomically change the children of
>   two things (the BlockBackends of virtio-blk and the NBD server). Not a
>   problem per se because we can just do that, but it raises the question
>   whether the atomic replacement operation needs to be transactionable.
>
> * Remove a node between two (or more) other nodes.
>
>   Same as atomically replacing a child by a grandchild. For more than
>   two involved nodes, again a transactional version might be needed.
>
> So at the first sight, this operation seems to work as the general

And actually, after re-reading the other branch of this email thread
where I replied to Berto that he wants to use bdrv_reopen() to change
the voting threshold for quorum, it occurred to me that bdrv_reopen()
should possibly also be this atomatic replacement function.

After all, the references to other nodes are blockdev-add options, and
if we implement bdrv_reopen() fully so that it can change any options
that can be given to blockdev-add, that means that we must be able to
replace children.

Kevin