qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about xen disk unplug support for ahci missed

From: Fabio Fantoni
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about xen disk unplug support for ahci missed in qemu
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 12:23:58 +0200

Il 16/10/2015 12:13, Anthony PERARD ha scritto:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:32:44AM +0200, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 15/10/2015 20:02, Anthony PERARD ha scritto:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 06:27:17PM +0200, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 14/10/2015 13:06, Stefano Stabellini ha scritto:
I would suggest Fabio to avoid AHCI disks altogether and just use OVMF
with PV disks only and Anthony's patch to libxl to avoid creating any
IDE disks: http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=144482080812353.

Would that work for you?
Thanks for the advice, I tried it:
https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commits/rebase/m2r-testing-4.6

I installed W10 pro 64 bit with ide disk, installed the win pv drivers and
after changed to xvdX instead hdX, is the only change needed, right?
Initial boot is ok (ovmf part about pv disks seems ok) but windows boot
fails with problem with pv drivers.
In attachment full qemu log with xen_platform trace and domU's xl cfg.

Someone have windows domUs with ovmf and pv disks only working? If yes can
tell me the difference to understand what can be the problem please?
When I worked on the PV disk implementation in OVMF, I was able to boot
a Windows 8 with pv disk only.

I don't have access to the guest configuration I was using, but I think one
difference would be the viridian setting, I'm pretty sure I did not set it.

I tried with viridian disabled but did the same thing, looking cdrom as
latest thing before xenbug trace in qemu log I tried also to remove it but
also in this case don't boot correctly, full qemu log in attachment.
I don't know if is a ovmf thing to improve (like what seems in Laszlo and
Kevin mails) or xen winpv drivers unexpected case, have you tried also with
latest winpv builds? (for exclude regression)
No, I did not tried the latest winpv drivers.

Sorry I can help much more that that. When I install this win8 guest tried
to boot it with pv drivers only, that was more than a year ago. I have not
check if it's still working. (Also I can not try anything more recent,
right now.)

I did many other tests, retrying with ide first boot working but show pv devices not working, I did another reboot (with ide) and pv devices was working, after I retried with pv (xvdX) and boot correctly. After other tests I found that with empty cdrom device (required for xl cd-insert/cd-eject) boot stop at start (tianocore image), same result with ide instead. From xl cfg: disk=['/mnt/vm/disks/W10UEFI.disk1.cow-sn1,qcow2,xvda,rw',',raw,xvdb,ro,cdrom']
With seabios domU boot also with empty cdrom.
In qemu log I found only these that can be related:
xen be: qdisk-51728: error: Could not open image: No such file or directory
xen be: qdisk-51728: initialise() failed
And latest xl dmesg line is:
(d1) Invoking OVMF ...

If you need more informations/test tell me and I'll post them.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.