qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU patch to allow VM introspection via libvmi

From: Valerio Aimale
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU patch to allow VM introspection via libvmi
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 15:51:28 -0600

On 10/22/15 3:47 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 01:57:13PM -0600, Valerio Aimale wrote:
On 10/22/15 1:12 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 12:54:23PM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Valerio Aimale <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
There's also a similar patch, floating around the internet, the uses
shared memory, instead of sockets, as inter-process communication
between libvmi and QEMU. I've never used that.
By the time you built a working IPC mechanism on top of shared memory,
you're often no better off than with AF_LOCAL sockets.

Crazy idea: can we allocate guest memory in a way that support sharing
it with another process?  Eduardo, can -mem-path do such wild things?
It can't today, but just because it creates a temporary file inside
mem-path and unlinks it immediately after opening a file descriptor. We
could make memory-backend-file also accept a full filename as argument,
or add a mechanism to let QEMU send the open file descriptor to a QMP
client.

Eduardo, would my "artisanal" idea of creating an mmap'ed image of the guest
memory footprint work, augmented by Eric's suggestion of having the qmp
client pass the filename?
The code below doesn't make sense to me.

Ok. What I am trying to do is to create a mmapped() memory area of the guest physical memory that can be shared between QEMU and an external process, such that the external process can read arbitrary locations of the qemu guest physical memory. In short, I'm using mmap MAP_SHARED to share the guest memory area with a process that is external to QEMU

does it make better sense now?