qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] which machinetypes have an integrated/implied IDE contr

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] which machinetypes have an integrated/implied IDE controller?
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 11:24:02 +0100

A quick "git grep -l ahci" says that in addition to q35, three ARM
boards have an AHCI controller: highbank, cubieboard (also known as
allwinner-a10) and xilinx-zynq-a9 (also known as xlnx-zynqmp).
Everything else that has IDE really means parallel ATA.

In practice the only difference between the two is that parallel ATA
distinguishes master/slave, while serial ATA has only one unit per bus
(in addition, PATA has two buses while SATA/AHCI has six).

On 12/11/2015 21:01, Laine Stump wrote:
> But I just received an email from someone who informed me that the
> "ppc-beigeg3" machine type also has an IDE controller, and that
> additionally this is the *only* method of connecting a disk on this
> particular machine.

That's not exactly true since g3beige has a PCI controller.  It may well
be that IDE is the only one supported by the firmware.

> So now I'm wondering how I can determine what other
> machinetypes have an integrated IDE controller, so that I can add them
> to this check. (I would also like to find out which qemu binary supports
> the "ppc-beigeg3" machinetype - I tried running "qemu-blah -M ?" for
> every qemu binary on my Fedora 22 system, and didn't see anything like
> that).

It's actually called g3beige. :)

Paolo