qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU versus Facebook's Infer static analysis tool

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU versus Facebook's Infer static analysis tool
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 10:41:50 +0100

On 14/11/2015 22:53, Peter Maydell wrote:
> That's a shame, because it would have been nice to include another
> kind of static analysis in what we run on QEMU (especially since
> the coverity tests are "only runs every so often when we do a build"),
> and the ability to do incremental analysis would have meant you could
> include it in day to day workflow much more easily.
>
> In summary: worth keeping an eye on to see if it improves, but for
> now I figured I'd just post this email to the list to save anybody
> else running through the same process to come to the same conclusion.

Great, thanks!

Blue Swirl ran clang static analyzer back in the day.  Now that we've
fixed a lot of Coverity issues it's probably time to rerun it again and
see whether free static analyzers can help us as much as Coverity does.

However, we still have a few hundred flagged false positives in
Coverity, so we can expect that any static analyzer will have a hard
time finding real issues in the code.

Paolo