qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] blkdebug event names [was: What to do about QAPI naming con

From: Eric Blake
Subject: [Qemu-devel] blkdebug event names [was: What to do about QAPI naming convention violations]
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 15:13:16 -0700

On 11/10/2015 07:35 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:

>>> Oddballs not related to case:
>>>
>>> * enum BlkdebugEvent uses '.' in member names

> I had a closer look at how the screwy names are used in QMP to see how
> much of the mess is fixable within reason.
>

> BlkdebugEvent is related to the external blkdebug interface described by
> docs/blkdebug.txt.  The two are actually decoupled, i.e. changing the
> QAPI names doesn't affect the external debugging interface, and vice
> versa.  Making them different can only cause confusion, though.  Not
> sure we can fix the names.

I think that having block/blkdebug.c:event_name[] duplicate qapi
BlkdebugEvent is a mistake, and that we are better off unifying them.
The other question is whether backwards compatibility is important here,
or if we can just break the naming conventions to something sane.  That
is, if the primary user of blkdebug is our testsuite, and we fix our
testsuite to match the new names, will we be breaking external users?
Libvirt certainly doesn't expose blkdebug, and I doubt any other
external wrapper will be that upset if we force better names here.

> BlkdebugSetStateOptions and BlockdevDriver are input for blockdev-add.
> Fixable.  May not even need backward compatibility.

Yep, I concur that blockdev-add is not stable yet, and that there are no
other QMP uses of BlkdebugEvent, so unless anyone else complains, I
think we can make the change to conventional spelling.

At this point, I think 2.5 is too late, so the change will have to go
into 2.6, but I'm preparing a patch for fixing this interface.