qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ivshmem property size should be a size, not a string

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ivshmem property size should be a size, not a string
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 09:46:32 -0700

On 11/20/2015 09:23 AM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> Hi

Was ivshmem even usable in 2.4?  I'd argue that if we are going to
change it, changing it for 2.5 is the ideal time.

>>   A straight fix of size isn't fully backwards compatible: suffixes no
>>   longer work in QMP, and you need to use an 'M' suffix to get Mebibytes
>>   on command line and HMP.
>
> I don't know the rules to break properties in qemu, but I would prefer to
> avoid it if possible.

It's possible to use an alternate to accept both a string and an
integer.  But in general, QMP _wants_ to use byte-count integers without
suffix (the convenience of '512k' is only for the command line and HMP),
so letting QMP expose a string of "512k" instead of an integer 524288
feels wrong.

>>   If that's unacceptable, we'll have to provide a new, fixed property,
>>   and deprecate size.
>
> Sounds a better alternative to me.

I'd rather fix the interface rather than catering to ugliness,
particularly since 2.5 already fixes so much else that was ugly about
ivshmem.

Markus, did you have a patch to propose?