qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] iSCSI options for IQN with colons

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] iSCSI options for IQN with colons
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 14:55:34 +0100

On 01/12/2015 14:43, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Option parameter "id" is for naming things so that other things can
> refer to them.  The actual name should not matter.  If it does, it's a
> bug.
>
> From my largely iSCSI-ignorant point of view, it looks like -drive
> file=iscsi *might* use the target IQN it gets from the URL to look up
> the matching -iscsi option.  That would be inappropriate.

Yes, it does.

I'm not sure if it's inappropriate; "id" is the one mechanism that
QemuOpts provides for looking up things, and it makes sense to use it
even if the lookup key is not user-controlled.

Unfortunately, the limitations on ids make -iscsi almost unusable; IQNs
almost always have a colon (the syntax is
iqn.YYYY-MM.com.example:string.controlled.by.example.com.owner; the
after-colon part is optional but in practice will be there).  Either we
fix it with Pino's patch, or we might as well remove it.

In 2.6 we probably should get the new secret API, and -iscsi should be
modified so that you can specify a reference to a secret directly in -drive.

Paolo