qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO based vGPU(was Re: [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release

From: Neo Jia
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO based vGPU(was Re: [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release of XenGT - a Mediated ...)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 13:48:37 -0800

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 09:10:16AM -0700, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-01-27 at 01:14 -0800, Neo Jia wrote:

> > > Hi Neo,
> > >
> > > A UUID is a perfectly fine name, so long as we let it be just a UUID and
> > > not the UUID matching some specific use case.

> > > Essentially, hopefully the vendor driver will have already registered
> > > the backing for the mmap prior to the fault, but either way could work.
> > > I think the key though is that you want to remap it onto the vma
> > > accessing the vfio device file, not scanning it out of an IOVA mapping
> > > that might be dynamic and doing a vma lookup based on the point in time
> > > mapping of the BAR.  The latter doesn't give me much confidence that
> > > mappings couldn't change while the former should be a one time fault.
>
> > Hi Alex,
>
> > The fact is that the vendor driver can only prevent such mmap fault by
> > looking
> > up the <iova, hva> mapping table that we have saved from IOMMU memory
> > listerner
>
> Why do we need to prevent the fault?  We need to handle the fault when
> it occurs.
>
> > when the guest region gets programmed. Also, like you have mentioned below,
> > such
> > mapping between iova and hva shouldn't be changed as long as the SBIOS and
> > guest OS are done with their job.
>
> But you don't know they're done with their job.
>
> > Yes, you are right it is one time fault, but the gpu work is heavily
> > pipelined.
>
> Why does that matter?  We're talking about the first time the VM
> accesses the range of the BAR that will be direct mapped to the physical
> GPU.  This isn't going to happen in the middle of a benchmark, it's
> going to happen during driver initialization in the guest.
>
> > Probably we should just limit this interface to guest MMIO region and we
> > can have
> > some crosscheck between the VFIO driver who has monitored the config spcae
> > access to make sure nothing getting moved around?
>
> No, the solution for the bar is very clear, map on fault to the vma
> accessing the mmap and be done with it for the remainder of this
> instance of the VM.

Hi Alex,

I totally get your points, my previous comments were just trying to explain the
reasoning behind our current implementation. I think I have found a way to hide
the latency of the mmap fault, which might happen in the middle of running a
benchmark.

I will add a new registration interface to allow the driver vendor to provide a
fault handler callback, and from there pages will be installed.

> > > In case it's not clear to folks at Intel, the purpose of this is that a
> > > vGPU may directly map a segment of the physical GPU MMIO space, but we
> > > may not know what segment that is at setup time, when QEMU does an mmap
> > > of the vfio device file descriptor.  The thought is that we can create
> > > an invalid mapping when QEMU calls mmap(), knowing that it won't be
> > > accessed until later, then we can fault in the real mmap on demand.  Do
> > > you need anything similar?

> > > vfio is a generic userspace driver interface, QEMU is a very, very
> > > important user of the interface, but not the only user.  So for this
> > > conversation, we're mostly talking about QEMU as the user, but we should
> > > be careful about assuming QEMU is the only user.
> > >

> > Understood. I have to say that our focus at this moment is to support QEMU
> > and
> > KVM, but I know VFIO interface is much more than that, and that is why I
> > think
> > it is right to leverage this framework so we can together explore future use
> > case in the userland.

> > > For the virtual BAR mapping above, it's easy to imagine that mapping a
> > > BAR to a given address is at the guest discretion, it may be mapped and
> > > unmapped, it may be mapped to different addresses at different points in
> > > time, the guest BIOS may choose to map it at yet another address, etc.
> > > So if somehow we were trying to setup a mapping for peer-to-peer, there
> > > are lots of ways that IOVA could change.  But even with RAM, we can
> > > support memory hotplug in a VM.  What was once a DMA target may be
> > > removed or may now be backed by something else.  Chipset configuration
> > > on the emulated platform may change how guest physical memory appears
> > > and that might change between VM boots.
> > >
> > > Currently with physical device assignment the memory listener watches
> > > for both maps and unmaps and updates the iotlb to match.  Just like real
> > > hardware doing these same sorts of things, we rely on the guest to stop
> > > using memory that's going to be moved as a DMA target prior to moving
> > > it.
>
> > Right,  you can only do that when the device is quiescent.
>
> > As long as this will be notified to the guest, I think we should be able to
> > support it although the real implementation will depend on how the device
> > gets into
> > quiescent state.
>
> > This is definitely a very interesting feature we should explore, but I hope
> > we
> > probably can first focus on the most basic functionality.
>
> If we only do a point-in-time translation and assume it never changes,
> that's good enough for a proof of concept, but it's not a complete
> solution.  I think this is  practical problem, not just an academic
> problem.  There needs to be a mechanism mappings to be invalidated based
> on VM memory changes.  Thanks,

Sorry, probably my previous comment is not very clear. I highly value your
input and
the information related to the memory hotplug scenarios, and I never exclude the
support of such feature. The only question is when, that is why I would like to
defer such VM memory hotplug feature to phase 2 after the initial official
launch.

Thanks,
Neo