qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] how to setup a watchdog?

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] how to setup a watchdog?
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:42:11 +0000

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 11:43:02AM +0000, lejeczek wrote:
> apologies I bother devel, but..
> I tried to get help on libvirt mailing list but not luck, then qemu,
> still nothing
> I hope maybe somebody here?
>
> I'm trying Qemu's watchdog.
> My understanding was that hardware (here qemu's watchdog) would take
> action, eg. cold reboot the system if there is no ping from the OS
> watchdog, so I
> thought stopping watchdog service in VM should be a quick test,
> right?
>
> I have this in the guest:
>
>     <watchdog model='i6300esb' action='reset'>
>       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x08'
> function='0x0'/>
>     </watchdog>
>
> and I see /dev/watchdog in my guest. Yet nothing happens,
> guest(linux) runs uninterrupted.
> I must be missing something, an expert said it's config problem, is
> it really is?

Sorry for the late response.

If your guest is Linux, you must also run the watchdog daemon in the
guest.  The watchdog device's timer isn't primed until it is opened
and set up by the watchdog daemon.

There is basically no watchdog framework or support in Windows, so
you'll have to write the software and driver yourself.

Rich.