qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: incremental backups: qmp-block-dirty-bitmap-diff

From: Fam Zheng
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: incremental backups: qmp-block-dirty-bitmap-diff
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 16:02:32 +0800

On Tue, 02/09 19:48, John Snow wrote:
> - Reading an entire drive to populate a bitmap with the understanding
> that an incremental backup is soon to follow is inefficient if the drive
> is more than just a little dirty: it may have been quicker to just
> create a new full backup and bitmap.

Above all I think this is a good idea. Just as an alternative, can we add
another sync mode for drive-backup?

    (QMP) drive-backup device=d0 target=target.qcow2 format=qcow2 sync=diff \
                       base=full-backup.qcow2

(the data of d0 will be compared against full-backup.qcow2 and only different
clusters will be copied to target.qcow2)

Fam