qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/9] qemu-ga patch queue for 2.6

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/9] qemu-ga patch queue for 2.6
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 11:39:01 +0000

On 26 February 2016 at 05:44, Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 25.02.2016 um 22:27 schrieb Michael Roth:
>> Quoting Peter Maydell (2016-02-25 12:18:17)
> [...]
>>> I'm open to the idea of dropping old-mingw from the build rotation
>>> if it looks like it really is just totally hopeless, since I have
>>> a newer setup for it now.
>>
>> I wouldn't want to speak for dropping old mingw checks in general (cc'ing
>> Stefan), but for qemu-ga I think it makes sense. VSS/fsfreeze also
>> relies on mingw-w64 so it's really the only build system I use for
>> testing functionality.
>
> I cannot remember the last time when I used MinGW and don't think
> that it would produce a working program (wasn't there missing support
> for thread local storage?). Current Linux distributions include
> support for mingw-w64 cross compilations, but not for MinGW.
> And finally MinGW only supports 32 bit Windows which looses
> importance nowadays.
>
> Therefore dropping MinGW support and only supporting mingw-w64 would
> be fine for me.

OK, I have dropped my ancient mingw w32 setup from the compile
testing list, so this pull req is ok to apply as-is.

(This will also mean we no longer get annoying "failed to build"
issues for other gcc-4.2-isms like duplicate typedefs, missing
U or ULL suffixes, etc. Which is good I guess :-))

thanks
-- PMM