qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VirtIO-GPU 3D OpenGL Hardware Acceleration for VMs

From: Chih-Wei Huang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VirtIO-GPU 3D OpenGL Hardware Acceleration for VMs
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 15:41:31 +0800

> It seems upstream Linux/Gallium3D/Mesa/Qemu/KVM has recently gained
> virtualized support for 3D/OpenGL hardware acceleration in VMs,
> allowing using the GPU of the host in VMs.
>
> As per my understanding the following components are needed -
>
> - Linux 4.4 kernel includes the DRM driver for VirtIO-GPU 3D
> acceleration (needed in the VM).
> - Qemu 2.5  includes the VirtIO-GPU 3D mode support.
> - Gallium3D VirGL driver is included in Mesa git (needed in the VM,
> supports up to OpenGL 3.3 atm).
> - On the host *any* OpenGL driver (for the host GPU obviously), no
> special requirements there.
>
> In order to do test this, if I can be guided as to what are the right
> applications to test the entire Graphic stack on a QEMU-KVM Virtual
> machine, I shall be grateful.

If you are interested to test Android on QEMU
with 3D hardware acceleration (via virgl, of course),
here is an ISO you can test:

http://www.fosshub.com/Android-x86.html/android-x86-6.0-20160318.iso

The command to run QEMU

qemu-kvm -smp 2 -m 2048 \
    -device virtio-gpu-pci,virgl -display gtk,gl=on \
    -d guest_errors \
    -serial mon:stdio \
    -cdrom android-x86-6.0-20160318.iso

It's built with kernel 4.4.4 and Mesa 11.2.0-rc3.
If you'd like to build the ISO yourself, please read
https://sourceforge.net/p/android-x86/wiki/Downloading%20and%20Building/

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project