qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] [tcg] Idea on refactoring target code generation

From: Lluís Vilanova
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] [tcg] Idea on refactoring target code generation loop (gen_intermediate_code)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 15:11:18 +0200

Claudio Fontana writes:

> Clearly late to the party,

>>> "No!"  (Hey, you asked for it)
>>>
>>> Back to serious.  As Peter Maydell said, "if we move away from C I'd
>>> rather it to be a language that's nicer than C rather than one that's
>>> uglier and larger and still retains all of C's flaws."
>>
>> Sure, except that one plan is feasible now and can be done in small
>> steps; the other is not feasible now (for example Rust is not even
>> packaged in Fedora) and entails pretty much a rewrite of the whole code
>> base.

> I skip my personal take on these specific issue, but one very practical
> concern I have with a potential move to C++,
> if I understand these proposals correctly, is with the speed of compilation
> and the binary size, and also QEMU startup time.

> I noticed while developing for OSv that compilation with C++ and templates was
> very slow compared with C, so certain scripts around git I am using to build
> and
> check code from scratch after each patch took a long time to complete.

> Do you know what these refactoring proposals' impact on compilation speed,
> binary size and startup time would be?

For templates, binary size and startup time should be exactly the same (plus
whatever fixed costs C++ might have, if any at all). Compilation times really
depend on the complexity of the templates, but I think that a straight
conversion should not noticeably increase compilation times; the use of
templates that QEMU would have is pretty straightforward (not any complex
interrelation between different templated classes with their own templated
methods), and we'd be replacing the preprocessing of a file multiple times
(e.g., include softmmu_template.h 8 times) for templated functions in the
implementation file (no need to see templates on the headers).

In the case of objects, binary/memory size should be marginally lower with C++
(in some cases, the C++ compiler can elide the "parent_class" pointer that QEMU
adds on every object class). On startup time, I'm not aware of any costs added
by C++ objects, but I might be wrong (aren't vtable pointers prepared at
compilation time?). As for compilation time, I really don't know what important
effects classes can have.

Cheers,
  Lluis